Why Study MBBS in Canada?
There are 17 Medical Schools or Medical Colleges in Canada that award MD degree which is equivalent to MBBS degree in India. At the present, nearly 4,000 students are doing their MBBS in Canada.
Admission Entry Requirements for MBBS In Canada
Most Universities enrol pupils who have effectively completed a graduate course in fields such as biological sciences. Quebec province’s medical universities do not even need students to have a Bachelor’s degree. On the basis of a CEGEP or a diploma that is equal to class 12 and first University/college year, students are accepted for MBBS in Quebec province.
For a West Canada MBBS, two years of Bachelor’s degree studies is required. MBBS from University of Manitoba requires students to complete degree courses before application.
The guide book by the AFMC or Association of Faculty of Medicine in Canada has been published to shed more light on pursuit of MBBS in Canada.
MBBS known as MD in Canada is considered there as an under-graduate degree.
For an admission for MBBS in Canada, the concerned documents needed are:
• SOP or statement of purpose
• Autobiography Details
Medical CAT or College Admission Test scores
For admission a candidate also has to appear for a personal interview.
University of Ottawa does not require MCAT score as their teaching is in bilingual.
Northern Ontario School of Medicne also does not require a candidate to have MCAT score for MBBS admission (known as MD in Canada).
Various Medical Schools in Canada use different sets of parameters for giving admission. For example for MBBS Admission in University of Western Ontario looks more at higher performance parameters.
McMaster University in Canada lays emphasis on MCAT’s Verbal Reasoning section to select candidates.
University of Toronto uses MCAT score as a cut-off criteria.
There are only 2,500 seats available for MBBS in Canada.
To practise as a Doctor in Canada all students have to clear the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam.
List of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Canada:
1. Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary
2. Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine, Halifax
3. McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal
4. Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty of Medicine, St. John’s
5. Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton
6. Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Sudbury
7. Queen’s University Faculty of Health Sciences, Kingston
8. Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Western University, London
9. University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Edmonton
10. University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver
11. University of Manitoba College of Medicine, Winnipeg
12. University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine, Ottawa
13. University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine, Saskatoon
14. University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Toronto
15. Université de Montréal Faculté de Médecine , Montreal
16. Université de Sherbrooke Faculté de Médecine et des Sciences de la Santé , Sherbrooke
17. Université Laval Faculté de Médecine, Québec