Study MBBS in Canada for Indian Students
Study MBBS in Canada for Indian Students – MBBS in Canada (equivalent to MBBS in India) is provided in 17 Medical Colleges / Universities located in the various parts of Canada.
Presently, there are nearly 4,000 students (including International) who are pursuing their MBBS studies in Canada.
Till last year, MBBS admission in Canada was without NEET for Indian students but from this year every Indian candidate is required to qualify in NEET to be eligible for MBBS Admission in Canada.
Admission Entry Requirements for MBBS In Canada for Indian Students
Different regions / Universities have their own set of eligibility requirements / entry criteria for pursuing MBBS.
Here are some details:
Medical Universities located in Quebec province give MBBS admissions on the basis of CEGEP or a Diploma which is equal to Class 12th.
However, there are very limited MBBS seats in Quebec province and hence getting an MBBS admission for an Indian student is highly competitive.
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA
University of Manitoba insists / requires completion of a minimum of 2 (two) year’s Bachelor’s Degree program.
Student’s have to complete the required 2 year’s Bachelor’s program before they can apply for MBBS course.
Almost all other Medical Universities & Colleges that offer MBBS in Canada for Indian students require a candidate to complete a Graduation degree in fields such as Biological Sciences before they can apply for MBBS studies in Canada.
The Association of Faculty of Medicine in Canada (AFMC) has published a detailed guide book on how to get MBBS admission in Canada.
For an admission for Study MBBS in Canada for Indian students, the concerned documents needed are:
• SOP or Statement of Purpose
• Autobiography Details / Detailed Resume
• Certificates & Marksheets
A good Medical CAT (MCAT) or College Admission Test score is a must to apply.
Many Medical Universities in Canada also take a personal interview of the candidate for selecting him/her for MBBS in Canada for Indian students.
However, some Universities in Canada do not require a candidate to appear in MCAT and their details are as follows:
University of Ottawa is the only Medical University in Canada that does not require MCAT score as their teaching is in bilingual.
Northern Ontario School of Medicine also does not require a candidate to have MCAT score for MBBS admission.
Is it easy for an Indian student to get MBBS admission in Canada?
Medical Schools in Canada use different sets of parameters for giving admission.
For example for MBBS Admission in University of Western Ontario looks more at higher performance parameters.
McMaster University in Canada lays emphasis on MCAT’s Verbal Reasoning section to select candidates.
University of Toronto uses MCAT score as a cut-off criteria.
There are only 2,500 seats available to study MBBS in Canada for Indian students and getting MBBS admission is very competitive.
After completing MBBS studies in Canada, all students have to clear the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam to be eligible to practice as a Doctor in Canada.
One of the BIGGEST ADVANTAGE for Indian students who complete their study MBBS in Canada and get a license to practice in Canada as a Doctor is that if they wish to come back to India and work as a Doctor in India then they do not have to appear for and clear the MCI Screening Test (officially known as Foreign Medical Graduate Examination).
List of Medical Council of India (MCI) Approved Medical Colleges in Canada:
1. Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary
2. Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine, Halifax
3. McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal
4. Memorial University of Newfoundland Faculty of Medicine, St. John’s
5. Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton
6. Northern Ontario School of Medicine, Sudbury
7. Queen’s University Faculty of Health Sciences, Kingston
8. Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Western University, London
9. University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Edmonton
10. University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver
11. University of Manitoba College of Medicine, Winnipeg
12. University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine, Ottawa
13. University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine, Saskatoon
14. University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine, Toronto
15. Université de Montréal Faculté de Médecine , Montreal
16. Université de Sherbrooke Faculté de Médecine et des Sciences de la Santé , Sherbrooke
17. Université Laval Faculté de Médecine, Québec